Wednesday, November 28, 2007

#7 - tech·nol·o·gy

1.the branch of knowledge that deals with the creation and use of technical means and their interrelation with life, society, and the environment, drawing upon such subjects as industrial arts, engineering, applied science, and pure science.
2.the terminology of an art, science, etc.; technical nomenclature.
3.a technological process, invention, method, or the like.
4.the sum of the ways in which social groups provide themselves with the material objects of their civilization.

I thought I would start at the very beginning, a very good place to start - with a definition. On the way to the bookshelf to dust of my mother's Pocket Oxford English Dictionary (sorry mum, hope you weren't wondering where it had got to!) I remembered that I was connected to this inter-webby thing that might provide me with the answer. I was right, not only did I find a very good (and broad) definition of what technology is, I also managed to find an RSS feed to the OED's word of the day (which is jumping ahead to the next exercise), and alert my mum to her dictionary's where abouts. See technology really is very amazing. With the click of a couple of buttons I am both informed and entertained and my mum knows where her dictionary is!

No comments: